IRIS presents a dynamic research environment in three research departments:
IRIS - International Research Institute of Stavanger - is a recognised research institute with high focus on applied research, equally owned by the University of Stavanger and the regional foundation Rogalandsforskning. IRIS was established in 2006, as a result of a technical re-structuring of the ownership of Rogaland Research.
Rogaland Research was established in 1973, and the continuation of its activities in IRIS provides IRIS with a long and proud history right from the start. Research activities started in the area of social science, but quickly developed to include petroleum.
Today IRIS remains an independent research institute with research and research-related activities in petroleum, new energy, marine environment, biotechnology and social science and business development.
IRIS annual report 2010
By challenging the known and exploring the unknown, obtain a position among the three most recognised international research institutes within dedicated areas by the year 2020.
Target research areas (2011-2020)
IRIS' adheres to a set of values, permeating all activities.
- Environment (Biomiljø)
- Society (Social science and business development)
The IRIS - Group
The IRIS group is a research concern, consisting of IRIS and fully or partially owned subsidiary companies. More information about the IRIS - Group (incl. links to subsidiary companies)
IRIS board of directors.
- 210 employees of 25 different nationalities, teaming up with scientific personnel at UiS make a combined team of 750 scientists.
- Head office in Stavanger, branch offices in Bergen and Mekjarvik.
- Emphasis on applied research and commercialisation of research results.
- Unique laboratory and full scale testing facilities at Ullrigg Drilling & Well Centre
- Akvamiljø - unique ecotoxicological research facilities.
- An HSE philiosophy of zero accidents and certified in accordance with NS-EN-ISO 9001:2000 and NS-EN ISO 14001:2004